How is everyone?!??!?! First off....missions are the best. I love them. And oh yeah, I LOVE MY COMP. She is the coolest you guys! We laugh all the time and we know when to work and when to play. She is the sweetest and we get along so well. Her teaching style is a little different but i know she is here for a reason and so am i! she's had some rough times in the past and her family is having some troubles right now and it just breaks my heart but it also fills my heart with love for her. i told her last week after listening to her talk, that if we don't have any baptisms this cambio (transfer), I couldn't care less, and that maybe we're together in this transfer for each other. I'm loving this. But honestly y'all im learning so much about listening and asking questions. im realizing that that's one of the biggest lessons i'll learn here is how to listen, cuz i dont have any other option! haha i have to learn how to listen, but it is so beneficial and ive learned that what i have to say is probably 99% of the time not important. I love the section on listening in Preach My Gospel:
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland taught: “More important than speaking is listening. These people are not lifeless objects disguised as a baptismal statistic. They are children of God, our brothers and sisters, and they need what we have. Be genuine. Reach out sincerely. Ask these friends what matters most to them. What do they cherish, and what do they hold dear? And then listen. If the setting is right, you might ask what their fears are, what they yearn for, or what they feel is missing in their lives. I promise you that something in what they say will always highlight a truth of the gospel about which you can bear testimony and about which you can then offer more. … If we listen with love, we won’t need to wonder what to say. It will be given to us—by the Spirit and by our friends” (“Witnesses Unto Me,” Ensign, May 2001, 15;).
This is genius of course :) and the section on how to be a successful missionary in the first chapter as well. My favorite part is "when you have done your very best, you may still experience disappointments, but you will not be disappointed in yourself."
Thank you so much for my package, it was seriously a piece of home, just looking at my moms handwriting was enough to bring tears to my eyes! haha! i got some decorations and ill wait to put the birthday banner up :) I got a skirt! love it!!! and a cheetah print scarf and some amazingly good chocolate which i shared as much as i wanted to eat it all. Cuz sharing is caring :) and a Motab Men's Chorus CD which warms my heart, their voices are gold. And of course the cards from my family were incredible.
I can definitely tell my spanish is getting better, and if
it's all in my head, then I'm at least speaking more. and I'm finding myself
talking to myself in spanish and my impulse is to speak in spanish which is hard
when your comp wants to learn English, but its all good! I love my comp cuz she can understand me so we'll talk and she'll ask me stuff in english and she
actually knows a lot. It's so nice that she can understand me! We have a ton of
fun together. But
im definitely opening my mouth a lot more with the members here and the
investigators too, I'm not as apprehensive and this has been really beneficial. Everyone is super patient with me and helps me out and its been a great
experience! We taught someone in english this week! Totally failed! Speaking in Spanish is easier I decided ;) Haha plus the girl is back and from Roatan so
her accent is super super thick but it was neat to be able to testify in English, I loved it :) Her question was related
to Revelation where it says that we shouldn't add to the bible and Hermana U was right on cue with all the pamphlets and pictures and
everything :) U. is working on her testimony in English. It's very
beautiful :) She's the best!
Love,
Hermana Despain
So I'll need to write more about this past week
next week,
but never fear! I am loving every minute, almost but pretty much every
minute! This work is amazing. We did divisions this week and i loved
something that
hermana A told me that hermana H told her, "we wont always
have good days, but there will always be good in a day" dont forget that
because honestly its so true. i see so many miracles here its
incredible. i
cant wait to tell you all about our exciting run in with C. this week
and
our invitation to contact women with moustaches and my idea for glitter nametags for the hermanas ;) we challenged B to be baptized but
her mom
needs to say yes and she is catholic, so pray for the mom of B
everyone, B is an amazingly strong 11 year old that has such a desire to be
baptized. shes with the familia A who has the pig ;) i love serving
a misión.l
i love being a missionary. it takes time to adjust but you have to let
yourself, you have to let yourself be ok with not being at your sisters
wedding
and missing your brothers last band performance and not being there for
your
brothers maratón, but these things will all be worth it in the end :)
because im
doing the lords work :) have an amazing week and share your testimony
with
someone, they're just dyin to hear it! ;)
love,
Hermana Despain