WHAT’S UP!?!?!??!?!?!?!? I miss everyone a ton. Sometimes it just hits me and I miss everyone and don’t think I can survive another year just emailing people...but hey, mother’s day is right around the corner right? :) HALLELUJAH!!
So this week has been hot hot hot but strangely windy which is a blessing and a curse here in Santa Rita or as I like to call it el infierno...because it’s super dusty so we've been fighting dust storms and polvo and junk. Last night we were in a cita with a lady who started going to a different church and her friends were with her so we asked if we could share something with them. They said yes but one lady never even turned around. I was talking and then I stopped and realized none of them were paying attention and I just quit. I just quit talking I was so frustrated, I just looked at my comp, my poor little Nicaraguan comp. She is so patient with me. I love her to death. She is the best :) but the 5 minute gusts of wind with a ton of dust didn’t help the situation at all. What scares me is when they’re all talking, and then everyone laughs and suddenly I have like 10 pairs of eyes staring at me and I obviously missed something super important and the poor little gringa is just sitting there like "¿Cómo?, ¿Qué pasó?" and no one cares to fill me in....but it’s all worth it right? :) right.
I asked my comp at one point this week what she thought and felt when she saw my pic come up on the big screen at the changes meeting and she said she remembered me from the Christmas video we did of the mission. She told herself, "por lo menos voy a reir". That made me smile :)
We had lunch with a super solid member of the ward and she talked and talked and talked for like 2 hours with us afterwards but we loved listening to her and we realized that with all her crazy kids, she probably doesn’t get a lot of time to talk with girls or women or at least someone that will sit for longer than 20 seconds and nod and smile :) She told us how important it is to stick with what we know and was like "sigue fiel después de sus misiones" and we talked about how so many RM’s go less-active or don’t marry in the temple. To take that break and listen to a strong member’s counsel and advice, it’s like they turn into our moms for a few hours and we're all ears :) I’ve decided that here in Honduras and I guess in all parts of the world, there is at least 1 solid family in each ward. But its true, they’re the rocks that are keeping the wards together.
2 Corinthians 4:8,9,15-18 talks all about missionary work and it’s so true! We are put to the test every day whether it’s getting ourselves out of the house when it’s blazing hot outside or we can tell the people don’t really want to listen to us, or members stop going to church. All of these trials make us stronger. We're faced with adversity but we never fall. Sometimes it feels like it, but we really just trip a little bit. (I literally trip here like everyday it’s the worst, the rocks are like Satan in my path.)
I talked to a Testigo de Jehová for the first time this week! It was really hard not to argue or fight or lose my temper with her. She was like "yo soy testigo de Jehová, con mi esposo y tambien mi hijo". She went on and on about numbers and the amount of people that are going to heaven and all that and then we met an Adventista in the street and tried to invite a Catholic woman to pray later about what we shared with her but she straight up told us no. :)
I decided to bring a picture around of the family to show people and man you guys it’s the cutest thing. I pulled it out during a lesson when we were talking about families and I was looking down like pulling it out and started to turn my scriptures where I keep the picture and I was like "Here is a picture of my family!" I have never seen people move so fast haha in like 2 seconds I had 4 women in my face looking at the picture. It was the sweetest thing :) It’s fun to hear their opinion of you guys :) Mostly they just say "¡Hay qué lindo!" and I have to agree :)
We got called Elderes for the first time like last week. That was pretty funny haha.
I’ve never felt so dirty in my life but I’ve also never felt so clean. Physically we're just dirty all the time, with mosquitoes trying to give us malaria and bug spray all over us and the sun burning down and dirt all over us and polvo flying in our faces, our hair everywhere and our clothes all nasty, but spiritually I’ve never felt so clean. That’s all :)
James 1:8 "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."..is that not the coolest!?
I’ve noticed that my Spanish has gotten a lot better with all this time that I’ve spent with the latinas! It's great :) They’re the best!
We called people to remind them about church but we decided to not go by for anyone to see if they really had the desire to come to church. I know it sounds horrible but guess what happened? No. No miracles. We had zero investigators in church. Now I understand that it’s our job to bring people to Christ and baptize, but we aren’t here to carry them to church. We're taking their hand...cuz if we’re carrying them to church, they won’t learn how to walk on their own. Reminds me of Coach Boone, Denzel Washington's character in Remember the Titans when he says in response to the assistant coach urging him to ease up on the football players, "You're crippling them. You're crippling them for life!" So it’s a test of faith and we didn’t see the miracles, but it’s a price we paid and now we know who’s progressing. No one. And we know who needs help. Everyone. But so what else is new?
We were going to visit a less-active sister, R., the one that gave us shoes that one night? She had visitors already so we shared with her nuera and she ended up telling us how she feels an emptiness in her heart but doesn’t know why cuz she has her husband, her friends, everything. I wanted to just be like "Don’t worry. We have the answer! It’s the gospel!!!" So we scheduled a cita with her for Tuesday. We'll see what happens. She works four days and has a descanso the next four. She told us, "Ustedes transmiten alegria". That made me feel so good.
I hope you guys have a great week, keep smiling :) cuz as members of this church we have the best gift ever. Really though. I’ll probably write again this Wednesday after changes and I’ll let you guys know if I have a new comp or not! Love you guys!!!
Con amor,
Hermana Despain