Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Whirlwinds

It's cloudy and raining outside. Pretty much a metaphor for how I feel.

Today we went and fished on the pier. It started to rain and the waves were really high, but it was fun and really pretty. There are some sand fleas that bite here, pretty painful. 

My companion thanked me for helping her reach our goals this week, that felt good. It's been a challenge to have ánimo (to be excited) but hearing that was really nice.
Ate a baleada with beans that had been played around in by rats. I had no idea why comp wasn't eating, but afterwards of course I figured out why, but... I didn't get sick!!

We went to C____ on Wednesday for like a 30 minute meeting about being secretaries. Really, that bus was like a bad amusement park ride. The stake center even smelled the way I remember it. It was weird being back in C____, it's changed so much, not really the C____ I knew, but it's still like my home.

My birthday is in less than a month? That should be fun.

We have a great investigator who is just perfect. She has a ton of family that are members and she just feels that its time. She has a fecha to be baptized the 29th of this month and she was talking about her own fecha in her prayer she offered. Normally it's like pulling teeth to even get them to pray in the first place even when offered help. So she is a real blessing for us. The best part though, she could get baptized in the ocean :)

Normally as we pass guys in the street, we hear stuff like "hey...la gringita..." and other junk. But this week I heard "welcome to be my life". So who knows what that means, but it was funny. (Jen:  I bet they were saying "Welcome to be my wife.")

Friday night we had a noche de cine en la iglesia and they showed "The Other Side of Heaven". The projector was cracked so through whole movie, it looked like star wars with a bunch of white dots but we got through it. It was really interesting to see how so many of the experiences in that movie are similar to things I've experienced. As a kid I didn't like that movie so much (cuz of the rats) but watching it in the mission really made me think about how much I'll miss the mission and the people.

Sunday we had an asistencia (attendance) of 141. It's still a branch. There isn't enough sacerdocio (priesthood) apparently, but it's a really great branch of lots of strong Garífonas.


We taught a lesson on the beach last night around 5. That was neat. I asked how long the family had lived there for and we started talking about the weather and hurricanes that have passed through. I asked how the family did during hurricane Mitch that everyone always talks about...What happened next didn't seem to really mean anything at the time but I think now it does. We were talking about preparedeness and how we should keep a supply of food and water and all that, but the lady started talking about how the day that the hurricane hit, everything seemed fine...it was a normal day and the sky was normal. Then suddenly everything went wrong and the storm came out of nowhere. I guess that's like life sometimes. No matter how much we prepare ourselves, no matter how much we think we can take, sometimes we really aren't prepared for what life gives us. And we feel like everything is going how it's supposed to be, and then even when we do things the right way, it's still hard and you just don't really know what to think and you're left just sort of putting your hands in the air and saying "I've got nothing. I don't know where to go from here..." But Heavenly Father is always there and I'm learning to trust Him a lot more than I ever have. I'm learning to give up what I want and accept that my timing and my plans probably aren't the same as His.

I'm grateful to be here. I'm grateful to be serving a mission. I couldn't be happier and I know I'm where I'm supposed to be right now. It's crazy to think how much I've learned and how much I still have to learn, but I'm getting there. Hope you all have a great week.

Con amor,
Hermana Despain