I gave my capacitación last week! It went well. Sort of forgot to use all the stuff I had written down on the board (oops). I just got so into it! It was great though and I could tell that some of the Elders really were taking it to heart because one of the districts here in the zone this week, reported that 26 out of their updated 29 recent converts have attended church in the month of December!!!! And that’s December, the month where everyone travels and leaves or decides not to go to church because they’re too busy making tamales. So, so, so proud of them! The zone's retention went up by 8 percent this week so we're getting there!
I guess we're just so on top of things here that we give out copies of the Book of Mormon by 5:15 in the morning. But really though, last Tuesday we were headed to T____ I think and we managed to drop off a Book of Mormon to an investigator before she left for O_______! She ended up not feeling so well and not traveling that day so we got to visit her later on that day!Today in Wendy’s we met a member from the barrio M__________ in C_____! I asked about past missionaries there and he knew them! He also said that they ate at his house every Thursday :) Small world. Lots of stuff seems to happens in Wendy’s. My comp tried her first Frosty today! :)
Since we don’t have weights and we're running low on folletos, I've started using coconuts as my weights during the strength training parts of Jazzercise :) I guess that’s what you have to do in Honduras...use coconuts for weights.
My companion asked me one night as we were sprinting home, "Have you seen a movie called Pride and Prejudice?" I about died you guys, none of my companions have seen it! We freaked out for a solid like 8 minutes about how great of a movie it is and all about "Señor Darcy". So fun. She's also seen Hannah Montana. Definite bonding moment.
On Sunday I handed out the little "HLJ" (CTR) rings my mom sent and we handed out "El Es La Dádiva" cards to all the sisters in the Relief Society and then we took pictures! We invited them to share it with a friend!
I will never get tired of looking at the stars here with the mountains and the beach on the other side. They’re so gorgeous here.
Got in a little "heated discussion" with an investigator this week. I've never had anyone accept a baptismal date and then reject us in the same lesson. Turns out he's the pastor of 10 churches here in C_____, maybe that’s why. We were explaining about modern day prophets, authority and the Book of Mormon. In order to understand about the Book of Mormon we start out asking people where the Bible was written. In all the people we've talked to in a year and a half, I've never met a single person who knows where in the world the Bible was written. So he obviously felt a little defensive about that and was trying to talk over us and change the subject. We taught more and I expressed to him how God doesn’t want His children to be confused and once again he got really defensive and started going on saying "You tell me I'm confused? Well señorita, you’re confused..." But didn’t even have any good reason for saying that. So that was a little disappointing, but we did what we could. I just ended with my testimony.
We found such a great couple this week. They’re African American...or let’s just say they have dark skin cuz they could be Garífonas, I don’t know, but they’re a young couple living in a one room apartment in a poor little area with their one year old boy. They both love their little boy so much and have so many great questions. But we really thought they would come to church and when we passed by Sunday morning they did the whole "We have lots of things to do" deal and it’s like "We've been talkin about this day every day this week that we've visited you all...But we'll visit them this week. They do need to get married still though, slight setback. But man that would be such a great baptism to have before I left. It was so cool Saturday morning though because the dad was home too so we got to teach them both. We were teaching Lesson One and teaching about albedrio when all the sudden the guy gets up and grabs a black marker they had and starts writing on their wall (no really, cuz they have cardboard all over their wall to give it more support). And I'm thinking, "What is he doing??" He was like "I don’t want to forget". That’s when I realized he was writing "albedrio" with the definition. It was so cool. It was like "Heck yes, that’s what it’s like teaching in Honduras, having people write words on their cardboard wall so they don’t forget". They’re really special.
Tomorrow morning on our way to the multizona in C_____, we'll do a Secret Santa gift exchange as a zone! Here's to hoping I don’t get like dirty socks or something. The gift I'm giving is pretty awesome I have to say.
Con todo mi amor,
Hermanita Despain